My workshop at the Bend Design Conference about civic design & visual communication:
My keynote talk at Affect about public service design:
My webinar with design tips for activists
For tactical tips, skip to slide 24.
Interested in inviting me to speak at your event, company, or conference? I specialize in teaching design to non-designers. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Field Guides to Ensuring Voter Intent: These free guides from the Center for Civic Design were created for election officials, but contain useful tips on user research, plain language, and design for any project.
- United States Web Design Standards: a fantastic style guide with design principles and UI patterns, and it's all accessible out of the box.
- Visualizing Information for Advocacy: a book about how to influence issues using the right combination of information, design, technologies and networks.
- Typography in 10 Minutes, by Matthew Butterick
- Practical Typography: Pretty much all you need to know about typography, including composition, formatting, layout, and font recommendations.
- Google Web fonts: free fonts for web and download.
Graphics & Photos
- The Noun Project: every icon you could possibly need! Some public domain, some Creative Commons, some cost $1.
- FontAwesome: A font made of icons, for use on the web and elsewhere.
- ColorStock: diverse stock photos!
- CreateHerStock: stock photos of women of color!
- Nappy: Beautiful, free, high-res photos of black and brown people.
- Did you know you could search Flickr and Google Images for public domain and Creative Commons licensed images? Now you know!
- Sim Daltonism: Color blindness simulator tool for Mac.
- Adobe Color: Free online tool from Adobe to help you create a pleasing color palette.